United Nations Development Programme –UNDP recruits:
Job Code Title: Programme Specialist in Social Policies
Under the guidance of the Programme Coordinator, DRR and RR, the Programme Specialist in Social Policies acts as a manager and advisor to Senior Management on all aspects of social policies Country Office (CO) programme. The main role is to manage the country programme in the area of social policies portfolio in the area of social policies, including but not limited to, education, health, justice and security sector reform, social development, sports and culture, including continued monitoring of implementation. The Programme Specialist leads the Social Policies Unit team in strategic planning and identifies new programme areas and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities.
The Programme Specialist heads and supervises Social Policies team and works in close collaboration with the Programme Coordinator and other Programme Units, Management Support and Business Development, Operations team in the CO, Programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP Head Quarter’s staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society to successfully implement the UNDP programme.
Summary of Key Functions:
Contributing to the definition and monitoring of the strategic direction of UNDP programme
Management of the CO programme and supervision of the Social Policy Programme team
Strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization
Provision of top quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
1. As a member of the CO management team, contributes to definition and monitoring of the strategic direction of UNDP programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP, AWP and other documents.
• Identification of strategic programme areas of cooperation.
• Operationalization of UNDAF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
• Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO.
• Contributes to the CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management, control of the workflows in the Programme Unit.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO programme and supervision of the Social Policies Programme team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
• Effective application of Results Based Management tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
• Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
• Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the Social Policies Unit, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. The Social Policies Specialist performs the function of Manager Level
• Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation in the area of social policies. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
• Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
• Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
3. Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization in cooperation with the Programme Coordinator, Management Support and Business Development Team focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes in the area of social policies.
• Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
• Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
• Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
4. Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
• Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
• Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks. Relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns are implemented with key partners.
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
Experience: 10 (ten) years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments. Work experience focused in the area of social policies, particularly in projects and programs related to poverty reduction, social inclusion, and capacity development, will be considered as part of the selection criteria.
Knowledge on approaches and methodologies to insert cross cutting issues (gender, race and human rights) into public policies is also desirable. Knowledge and work experience in international organizations and/or public sector is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in Portuguese, English and Spanish is required.
A detailed curriculum vitae and application letter (stating desired remuneration) should be sent to 7 September 2008 “programmesocial2008”, quoting reference email@example.com, up to UNDP gives equal opportunity to all applicants and particularly encourages Afro-Brazilians and women to apply.